Terms & Conditions
This page explains the terms and conditions on which we, Bora Health Limited, trading as ‘SureSafe Alarms’, supply any goods and services listed on our website www.personalalarms.org to you, or purchased directly from us by any other means. For the purposes of these terms and conditions ‘Services’ means any goods and services listed on our website, or elsewhere, which from time-to-time you purchase, or attempt to purchase. This includes any online purchase, email purchase, attempted purchase, any purchase made on the telephone with an employee of Bora Health, or a nominated representative.
Before ordering any Services, please read these terms and conditions carefully and make sure that you understand them. By ordering any Services you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions. You will need to confirm that you agree to these terms and conditions before you can complete your purchase. Where a purchase is made on the telephone, and you are unable to read these terms and conditions in advance, you should review this document carefully upon receipt. If you are not happy with these terms and conditions you have the right to cancel your order for Services within 14 days of receipt of the equipment. Failure to cancel within 14 days of your order, for whatever reason, will constitute acceptance of these terms and conditions.
Where viewing this document online, you should print a copy of these terms and conditions and retain them for future reference.
1. Who we are
Here is some more information about us:
We operate the website www.personalalarms.org.
We are Bora Health Limited and we trade under the name SureSafe Alarms.
Our company number is 08724082.
Our VAT registration number is 222 2469 35
Our registered address is 40 The Looms, Wirral, CH64 6RF.
Our trading address is Anfield Business Centre, 58 Breckfield Road South, Liverpool, L6 5DR.
2. Who you are
By purchasing Services, you confirm that:
You are at least 18 years old.
You are legally capable of entering into binding contracts.
You are accessing our website from within the UK if you are acquiring equipment rental or monitoring services. You are accessing our website from anywhere in the world, excluding the United States of America and Canada, if you a purchasing equipment that does not include equipment rental or monitoring services.
Where purchasing the product on behalf of someone else, you remain responsible compliance with these terms and conditions.
3. The basis of our agreement
By purchasing Services you agree that:
- Your agreement to our terms and conditions constitutes a binding contract between us.
- The terms and conditions and your order acknowledgement email/letter set out the entire agreement between us.
- When purchasing online, in order to complete any purchase you must check the ‘I Accept’ box next to the Term & Conditions link on the checkout page.
- Any information, promotional literature, images and/or any other type of information available through or site or sent to you by us does not form part of our contract.
- In the event of an inconsistency between the order acknowledgement email/letter and the terms and conditions, the order acknowledgement email shall prevail.
- If your purchase is from the SureSafe 24/7 Connect range then you will receive an e-mail from us acknowledging that we have received your order. This does not mean that your order has been accepted. Your order constitutes an offer to us to rent equipment and/or to purchase monitoring services. We will then request the necessary additional information required for us to provide the Services, and for you to pay for the Services. Once you have provided this information the Contract shall come into existence between us and you.
- If you are purchasing equipment from us from any other product category then the order acknowledgement email is a confirmation of your order for the equipment only and the point at which a contract between us comes into existence. Monitoring services are always confirmed in accordance with clause 3 vi.
- Any quotation for the provision of Services is given on the basis that a binding contract shall only come into existence in accordance with 3 (vi) and 3 (vii), above. Quotations are valid for 30 calendar days from the date we give it to you. We reserve the right to withdraw or amend it during this period. We will notify you in writing if we do.
- We reserve the right to revise our terms and conditions from time to time. We will give you notice in writing and at least 30 days in advance of this. In such an event, you will have the option to cancel this agreement without penalty.
4. Our obligations to you
Post the equipment to you within 1 working day of receipt of appropriate payment and necessary information required for the Services being supplied (where you have not chosen an installation option). All shipping will be via Royal Mail First Class, First Class Recorded, or Special Delivery.
Within 5 working days arrange an appointment with you for the installation of the equipment (where purchased).
Provide Services with reasonable skill and care.
Provide Services that are fit for the purpose we say they are.
Provide Services that are free from material defects in design, material, and workmanship.
Provide Services that comply with all applicable statutory and regulatory requirements for supplying the Services in the United Kingdom.
Reserve the right to make any changes to the Services necessary to comply with any applicable law or safety requirement. We will notify you in writing should this happen.
Be fair and reasonable in responding to any complaints made by you.
5. Your obligations to us when purchasing a product from the SureSafe 24/7 Connect range
1. Prior to monitoring service activation you must
- Complete the customer information form we send you.
- Complete the direct debit form we send you.
- Obtain permission from the key holders provided in the customer information -form for us to contact them in the event you activate your personal alarm service.
- Give the key holders a key to your property, as well as any alarm codes. Alternatively, purchase and install a key safe and provide the key holders with the key safe code.
- If you have a key safe, give us the key safe code and consent to us sharing this code with your doctor or the emergency services.
- Give key holders the authority to access your doctor and medical records.
- Treat the goods with care, any damage caused to goods will be your responsibility, fair wear and tear excepted
2. Following installation and monitoring service activation you must
- Carry out a test call as soon as reasonably practicable to ensure that it is working correctly.
- Test the pendant range from the base unit to identify any areas of your property that would be out of range.
3. For the duration of our agreement you must (where relevant)
- Co-operate with us in all matters relating to the Services.
- Ensure that your telephone line is fully operational.
- Ensure your telephone line is functional with the British Telecom infrastructure (we cannot guarantee that other providers will be compatible with the
Services. Please contact us before agreeing to any change in supplier).
- Be responsible for any costs associated with you changing your telephone provider, including any necessary maintenance visits.
- Give us any information we reasonably require to provide the Services and in a reasonable time frame. Ensure that the information is accurate.
- Test the equipment monthly.
- When purchasing a SureSafeGO Alarm, switch the device off for 3-4 minutes once a month, before switching it on again. Then carry out the monthly test.
- When testing monitored equipment, notify the respondent at the monitoring centre that it is only a test call as quickly as possible to prevent false alarms.
Let us know as soon as possible if the equipment is not working.
- Let us know in a timely manner of any changes in:
your contact details
your medical history
the identity of a key holder
the contact details of a key holder
any key safe access code
any change in location of any key safe
- Let us know in advance of any periods when you or a key holder are away from home and not be contactable.
- Wear the pendant alarm button at all times when in the working range of the equipment.
- Not sell, dispose of, or part with possession of the equipment (where rented).
- Maintain suitable insurance to cover the value of the equipment (where rented).
- Allow us access to your property to carry out any maintenance required. Our maintenance sub-contractors will always provide identification before entering your property but if you are unsure about anyone who presents themselves at your door, please contact us by pressing your pendant alarm button.
- Not use the Services or equipment for any commercial purpose (unless agreed otherwise in writing by us).
6. Pricing and payment
All our prices quoted are exclusive of VAT. You will need to advise us by completing the appropriate section of the checkout page if you are eligible for VAT exemption. You are responsible for any unpaid VAT if it is later deemed that you were not eligible for VAT exemption.
Any set-up fees, where applicable, are paid in advance of receiving the Services and are a one-off payment.
Where a monthly or annual fee is payable, either you will complete the appropriate direct debit information via our online direct debit website page, or you will give us the permission to complete it on your behalf by providing us with your bank account number and sort code. Direct debits will be taken on approximately the same day of the month when you completed your order.
We reserve our rights to increase our monthly fee. We will provide you notice in writing.
We reserve the right to amend our pricing based on:
your request for an amendment to the Services being provided.
your failure to comply with your obligations under this agreement that results in additional costs to us.
Late payments may be subject to an additional interest charge of 4% per year above the base rate of Barclays Bank. This interest shall accrue on a daily basis from the due date until the date of actual payment. You must pay us interest together with any overdue amount.
We reserve the right to cancel the Services if you do not pay us on time. We further reserve our rights over any other remedies that we may have.
7. Use of rented equipment
We permit you to use the equipment for the duration of the agreement only. The equipment will at all times remain our property and you shall have no right to the equipment other than the right of possession and use (in line with this agreement).
You will treat the equipment with utmost care.
On termination of the agreement for any reason, you shall:
a) promptly and thoroughly clean the equipment: and
b) return the equipment to us by recorded post and in good working order within 10 days of the date termination.
Upon receipt of the returned Equipment, we will inspect the equipment for damage (other than fair wear and tear) and we reserve the right to charge reasonable additional sums for any such damage that has occurred.
Failure return the equipment shall result in an amount owing to us of £249.99 (plus VAT where applicable.
8. Use of the 24/7 Connect landline based monitoring service
You acknowledge that each time you activate the personal alarm service, for whatever reason including any malfunction of the equipment, your telephone provider may charge you for such calls in accordance with their terms and conditions. We accept no liability for the cost of any calls, however caused.
In order to ensure resilience in service provision, our monitoring service uses an 0844 Primary Non-Geographical Number (NGN) to support business continuity. Should there be a major incident at the main response monitoring site, NGN’s can be easily and quickly be re-pointed to the Response Disaster Recovery site minimising any monitoring services downtime for connecting telecare devices.
The use of NGNs incurs two charges for the service user/caller: an access charge which is set by the telephone line provider and a service charge which is set by the service provider. The service charge is 7 pence per minute. Bora Health retains no part of the call charges.
9. Use of the SureSafeGO 24/7 Connect monitoring service
Your monthly fee includes all call, text and data charges associated with contacting the monitoring centre. The is subject to a fair use policy and we have the right to cancel your service with 30 days’ notice should you use excessive volumes of calls, texts and data for two or more consecutive months. Excessive use is classed as the call/text/data charges combined exceeding 75% of your monthly fee. At our discretion, we may offer you a higher monthly fee should you wish to continue the service, and maintain your usage levels.
10. Damage to property as a result of the emergency services being called
In the event that the personal alarm service is activated and either:
- a) we cannot make contact with you, or
- b) we cannot contact a key holder who can attend your property, or
- c) you do not have a key safe or have not given us the access code
That we will not be responsible for any damage caused to your property by the emergency services to gain access to your property.
11. Automatic Fall Detection
Where you have purchased or rented equipment with an automatic fall detection feature you understand and accept that the equipment will not detect 100% of falls. Falls can come in many different ways and the fall detector is not guaranteed to detect every fall. We recommend that the user manually activates the device whenever possible.
The fall detection technology in the products we supply do not allow analysis and interpretation of a fall situation. Soft falls, slumping falls, descent controllef falls against a wall or a chair, etc...are not detected by our products. In spite of their capabilities, and considering the technologies used and the target to minimise false alarms, all falls, even dangerous-heavy falls, cannot be detected. This is the reason why the presence of the manual trigger on the products remains vital for the user and should be used whenever possible.
12. SureSafe 24/7 Connect
Where you purchase any product from the SureSafe 24/7 Connect range (excluding SureSafeGO 24/7 Connect) you agree and understand that the alarm base unit, standard push button pendant, power plug, telephone cable and are with you on a leased basis and must be returned when you no longer subscribe to the service. Failure to return the equipment will result in £249.99 (plus VAT where applicable) being owed to us. You accept that we will use appropriate legal recourse to recover this money and any costs associated in doing so.
If you purchase any additional equipment for your 24/7 Connect Service then you own this additional equipment outright, and it does not have to be returned to us.
SureSafe 24/7 Connect Options 1, 2 and 4 have no minimum contract terms, the upfront connection fee is non-refundable. SureSafe 24/7 Connect Option 3 is a 12 month agreement, paid in full in advance, and as non-refundable.
13. SureSafeGO, SureSafeGO 24/7 Connect and SureSafe No-Landline Alarms
By purchasing a SureSafeGO, SureSafeGO 24/7 Connect or SureSafe No-Landline Alarm, you understand that these devices work using a combination of mobile phone signal (GSM) and/or GPS location signal. We are not responsible, in any way, for any failure of a product or service based on, arising from our in consequence of a total or partial failure of the GSM or GPS signal. You acknowledge in purchasing this type of equipment that mobile phone signal can be unreliable, and signal quality can vary dramatically from time to time, even in the same location. We are not responsible in any way when the product does not connect with, or is unable to connect to, the mobile phone or GPS networks.
It is your responsibility to ensure that there is sufficient credit on your SIM card based device, where credit is needed. We are not responsible, in any way, for the device not operating because there was insufficient credit. This includes failure to top up credit, failure to register for low credit alerts and failure to receive low credit alerts.
14. Installation & demonstration
If you have selected to have your alarm or key safe equipment installed by us (selected equipment only) then we will arrange for one of our sub- contractors to install and demonstrate it at a mutually agreed time
For alarm equipment installation you confirm that you have a power socket within 3 metres of the telephone socket, and that it is on the same wall
You are aware that an installation is not guaranteed and may be declined or cancelled depending on the requested installation location. We reserve our right to decline performing an installation at our absolute discretion. You understand that there is no guarantee that we can install your equipment for you.
Cancellation requests are to be with us before 1.00pm the day before installation.
All cancellations received on the day before installation before 1.00pm will NOT incur a charge
All cancellations received on the day before installation after 1.00pm will still incur the FULL charge
At the time of the installation you will have the opportunity to inspect and test the equipment. Acceptance of the equipment will be deemed to be evidence that the equipment is in good condition
If we are installing equipment then we will make good any damage caused by us during the installation. We are not responsible for the cost of repairing any existing faults or damage to your property that we discover in the course of installation
If we are not installing the equipment then we will not be liable for any damage to property or equipment, or subsequent losses, direct or indirect, resulting from your failure to install the equipment in accordance with the instructions
15. Annual Plan Cancellation
When an annual plan is cancelled early by you, we will refund you for unused months. This is only after all equipment is returned to us, and on the following basis:
a. Annual (non-SureSafeGO) plan refunds will be based on the total amount paid at the beginning of the year minus:
i. Number of full or partial months service used multiplied by our standard monthly rate of £14.99.
ii. £45 non-refundable set-up fee.
b. Annual SureSafeGO plan refunds will be based on the total amount paid at the beginning of the year minus:
i. Number of full or partial months service used multiplied by our standard monthly rate of £18.99.
ii. £35 administration fee.
c. Annual SureSafe FallSafe and Fall Alert plan refunds will be based on the total amount paid at the beginning of the year minus:
i. Number of full or partial months service used multiplied by our standard monthly rate of £18.99.
ii. £45 non-refundable set-up fee.
16. Special Offers
Where you have purchased a product marked ‘Special Offer’ in the product name, this clause supersedes any other clause within the terms and conditions. Products marked ‘Special Offer’ have the following terms and conditions:
The special offer is a time restricted offer. The special offer period is 12 months from the date of purchase.
When the special offer period has expired, the pricing with revert to the pricing detailed below:
Monthly subscriptions will be charged at £12.49 per month from month 13 onwards. Your direct debit will be set up to automatically change to reflect this.
Annual (non-fall detector) plans will be charged at £139 per year from year 2 onwards.
Annual fall detector plans will be charged at £219 per year from year 2 onwards.
When an annual plan special offer is cancelled early by you, we will refund you for unused months. This is only after all equipment is returned to us, and on the following basis:
Annual (non-fall detector) plan refunds will be based on the total amount paid at the beginning of the year (not including any setup fee, which is non-refundable) minus:
Number of full or partial months service used multiplied by our standard monthly rate of £14.99.
£35 administration fee
Annual fall detector plan refunds will be based on the total amount paid at the beginning of the year (not including any setup fee, which is
Number of full or partial months service used multiplied by our standard monthly rate of £19.99.
£35 administration fee.
The alarm base unit provided may vary from the product image on the website. Special Offer products are available for new customers only.
You can cancel your order within 14 days of delivery or installation of the equipment by notifying us in writing. Cancellation of any 24/7 monitored service needs to be in writing, by email to [email protected].
In the event that you cancel, you are responsible for the cost of returning any equipment. You are also responsible for the equipment until it is received by us
We will refund you any sum paid within 14 days of our receiving the equipment back from you in good condition
We reserve the right to refuse a refund or offer a partial refund if you return the equipment incomplete, damaged or more than 14 days after we received your notice of cancellation
Any Services used will be deducted on a pro-rata basis
We reserve the right cancel your service at any time and for any reason. Should we cancel your service will give you at least 28 days’ notice so that you have time to find an alternative service provider should you choose to. You are required to return all equipment to us, in accordance with this agreement, and we will provide you with a free method of doing so. Upon receipt of the returned equipment we will provide you with a pro-rata refund of your monies paid, without any return administration charge being levied.
18. Warranty for Services
We warrant that on delivery of any equipment that you have purchased outright that it will be covered by a warranty for 12 months. In the unlikely event that the equipment has or develops a fault in the warranty period then you will notify us as soon as possible and, at our absolute discretion, we will either repair or replace it. Repairs will only be considered if the equipment is sent back to us. We will bear the cost of all postage for faulty equipment purchased, this will be reimbursed after the fault is confirmed.
We warrant that on delivery of any rented equipment that the goods will be free from defect and fit for the purpose we intend it to be used for. This will apply for the duration of the agreement. In the unlikely event that the equipment has or develops a fault then we will, at our absolute discretion, either arrange for a maintenance visit or replace the equipment. We will use every effort to resolve the issue as soon as possible.
There is no warranty for any damage caused to the equipment arising from willful damage, accident, negligence by you or any third party or use of the equipment by you in a way that is not recommended in the user guide or manufacturer's instructions. We reserve the right to charge you for any repairs or maintenance that are as a result of your, or a third parties, actions.
19. Limitation of liability
Nothing in these terms and conditions are intended to exclude our liability where we are not allowed to do so by law.
We will only be liable for the reasonable and foreseeable losses you may suffer or incur as a result of our breach of this agreement. These losses will be limited to a sum equal to the aggregate of all payments made to us by you.
We shall have no liability, and will not be liable for any losses, howsoever caused, as a result of your failure to comply with clauses 3. vi and 3. vii of this agreement.
We will not be liable for any losses, to you or any third party, under breach of contract, statute, common law, torts, misrepresentation or custom that relate to a loss of income, revenue, profit, business, anticipated savings or data
Where there has been an obvious pricing error on our part, we are not obliged to sell at the incorrect price. As soon as we become aware of the pricing error we will let you know and inform you of the correct price. You will have the option to cancel without any penalty.
We are not liable for any delay or non-performance of the Services due to your failure to provide the necessary information for us to provide the Services.
This applies both at the outset of the agreement and throughout its duration
We will not be liable for any costs, interruptions to the Services or maintenance fees payable as a result of you changing your telephone/internet provider and that affecting your Service
20. Events outside of our control
We will not be liable for any delayed performance of, or a failure to perform, any of our obligations under this agreement as a result of event outside of our control. Events outside of our control are commonly known as a ‘Force Majeure Event’. Force Majeure Events include (but are not limited to):
acts of God
delays in delivery of materials,
acts of civil or military authorities,
acts by common carriers, emergency conditions (including weather conditions) incompatible with safety or good quality workmanship, or
any similar unforeseen event that renders performance not commercially viable.
Our obligations under these Terms are suspended for the period that the Force Majeure Event continues, and we will extend the time to perform these obligations for the duration of that period. We will take reasonable steps to bring the Force Majeure Event to a close or to find a solution by which our obligations under this agreement can be performed despite the Force Majeure Event.
21. Intellectual property
We retain the rights to all copyright, design and all other intellectual property rights in any and all equipment, documentation, marketing literature and/or similar that we provide to you in connection with the Services. You may not use anything listed in this clause for any commercial purpose
You may not transfer any of your rights or obligations under this agreement to another person without our prior written consent, which will not be unreasonably withheld. We can transfer all or any of our rights and obligations under this agreement to another organisation, but this will not affect your rights under this agreement.
23. Data protection and your personal information
24. Supervisory authority
The Financial Conduct Authority of 25, The North Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London, E14 5H3 is the supervisory authority for consumer credit.
If you have any complaints about our Service please contact us at Bora Health Limited, Anfield Business Centre, 58 Breckfield Road South, Liverpool, L6 5DR or at [email protected]
26. General Conditions
If any provision of this agreement is deemed to be invalid, unlawful or unenforceable to any extent by a competent authority then the remaining terms and conditions will continue to be valid to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Failure to exercise our rights or remedies under this agreement does not constitute a waiver of said rights or remedies. Any waiver is only valid if it is given expressly in writing.
A person who is not a party to this agreement shall have no rights under or in connection with them under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
You agree that this agreement is governed by English law and that the English courts have exclusive jurisdiction.